Skip to main content

AG Erosion and Sediment

The Basics of Agricultural Erosion and Sedimentation Requirements

Stream crossing

On November 19, 2010, additions and changes to long-standing PA Chapter 102 regulations addressing Erosion and Sediment (E&S) Control and Stormwater Management took effect.

All farms are required to develop and implement a written plan to reduce erosion when plowing and tilling (includes no-till cropping).

Chapter 102 always (since 1972) stated plowing and tilling needed a conservation plan; now Animal Heavy Use Areas (AHUAs) also must be covered by a conservation plan or Ag E&S plan.

AHUAs are defined as “Barnyard, feedlot, loafing areas, exercise lot or other similar areas on agricultural operations where due to the concentration of animals it is not possible to establish and maintain vegetative cover of a density capable of minimizing accelerated erosion and sedimentation by usual planting methods.”

The National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit for construction activities contains federal and state requirements for earth disturbance activities that disturb 1 acre or more. Activities like plowing and tilling do not require an NPDES permit, but agricultural construction which will disturb 1 acre or more (including but not limited to barn expansions, new animal housing, manure storage facilities, compost facilities) does require a permit. The permit covers runoff created during construction and stormwater generated after the construction activity is completed. A Post-Construction Stormwater Management Plan is required, along with an E&S Control Plan, as part of the permit. Be sure to allow for adequate time for completion of all permits when planning a construction project.